Saturday 20 March 2010

CHAPMAN GALLERY EXHIBITION

Artists Statement


Introduction




In 2005 all my metal sculpture were scrapped as a result of losing my barn studio in Somerset. This devastating turn of events encouraged me to begin researching into sculpting digitally.
This would allow everything exists in virtual space and so negating the need for workshop and storage space.

Funded by Arts North West and hosted by Salford University department of Virtual Environments I familiarised myself with digital technology not usually associated with the arts.
I learned to use scanning equipment, 3d gaming software, computer numerically controlled (CNC) industrial cutting equipment and virtual 3D projection systems.

I concentrated on screen based visualizations sketches and 3D projections that could be walked around.
The ultimate goal was to find ways of manufacturing these virtual sketches with real materials.
Rapid prototyping -a technology used in product design and the manufacturing industry is the name given to the process where computer generated images and files can be used directly to manufacture from.
The in between process of manufacturing dies, templates and mock ups becomes redundant.

The works on show in the Chapman Gallery are the first of these rapid prototype sculptures to be manufactured directly from my computer files into white corrugated plastic using a machine that following my computer generated shapes.

No comments:

Post a Comment